Sunday, December 09, 2007

Miraculous Medal


I want to share the personal story I have with this medal.

10 years ago when I got pregnant with my son I was on the verge of deciding to become Catholic. I was on a drug called Accutane. It causes severe birth defects and most times you sign a waiver stating you'll abort if you become pregnant on it. Well I was never asked to sign that waiver. The dr who prescribed it told me there was a chance of birth defects and it was up to me. He urged for an abortion but I knew I couldn't do it. Never. No matter what. Even if it meant my child could be severally mentally challenged, even if it meant hydrocephalus, even if it meant little or no brain that was developed I could never go through with it.

I wore the miraculous medal. It was silver. I bought a cheap silver chain and wore it. One time at work the boy broke it. The mother was helping me at the time and she offered to buy me a new chain. I said no, just get me a safety pin so I can pin this medal to the inside of my shirt for now. She thought I was a nut. But I needed it on me. I went out after my shift and bought another chain and I've worn it ever since. My son was born perfectly fine. He gets almost straight A's...he would get straight A's if he didn't rush through things as much. LOL.

The only time I have taken the necklace off is for my c-section and when I had a x-ray. When I took it off for the x-ray the medal didn't come off the chain. It stuck to the back of my neck and was staying put. The tech noticed it with the next batch of x-rays. It just didn't want to leave me.

I was so grateful about my son being fine that I named my next daughter Catherine, after Catherine Laboure who had visions of the Virgin Mary and was instructed by Her to have the medal struck.

In almost 10 years I wore that medal daily. It was just in the past month that I changed it with a new one. The back of my old was so worn out it was flat. I'll have to get the Priest to bless it.

During the advent season I always think about Mary being pregnant and giving birth to baby Jesus and how it would compare to my own experiences. I am always drawn back to the medal and do this novena

Miraculous Medal Novena

O Immaculate Virgin Mary,
Mother of Our Lord Jesus and our Mother,
penetrated with the most lively confidence
in you all-powerful and never-failing intercession, manifested so often through the Miraculous Medal,,
we your loving and trustful children
implore you to obtain for us the graces
and favours we ask during this novena,
if they be beneficial to our immortal sous,
and the souls for whom we pray.
(State your intention here...)
You know, O Mary,
how often our souls have been
the sanctuaries of your Son who hates iniquity.
obtain for us then a deep hatred of sin
and that purity of heart which will attach us to God alone
so that our every thought, word and deed
may tend to His greater glory.
Obtain for us also a spirit of prayer and self-denial
that we may recover by penance
what we have lost by sin
and at length attain to that blessed abode
where you are the Queen of angels and of men.
Amen.

No comments: