Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Christmas Concert


Last night was my children's Christmas Concert. They do go to a Catholic school and it was held in a church.

I guess the first thing you need to know is that I can't stand these events. The noise, the loudness, the disruption all bother me. It is stimulation overload for me and my fragile psyche. The concert is for my children so every year I go. I realized next year I am taking some Ativan before I head out.

Last night was no different...in fact I think it was louder than usual but I survived. And my youngest dd's (I call her the queen) class did a wonderful job. It honestly was the best song in the whole program. And at the end of the program the whole school got up and sang a song. It was great. They did it in a chorus and I was suprised at how well it sounded.

What really bothers this traditional girl is the fact that for 12 years they have never done the nativity story. They loosely refer to it with bits and peices. I remember back to when I was a child and we acted out the nativity story each Christmas. I remember the thrill when my doll was baby Jesus. I miss that. Now at my children's concerts they don't even sing hymns. The closest in 12 years was away in a manager. All the hymns have been replaced with what I call secular Christian Christmas songs.

My youngest is in gr 1. I pray that by the time she is finished the school will just once act out the nativity story with appropriate hymns.

I guess I should just be thankful for what it is. It could be worse...it could be a holiday concert not a Christmas one.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I think you are right. In a year or two it sounds like it will be the "holiday concert"!

A wise person once told me that no one named Holly was born on Dec 25th. Christ was. Thats why its Christmas and not Holly-day (holiday).

God Bless,
Michael