Thursday, December 21, 2006

DK's Christmas Concert

Last night was the dk's Christmas concert. Afterwards they had a little gathering in the Parish hall. Each family had to bring something in depending on what grade your child was in. I had to bring in a dessert and fruit. I noticed my squares went pretty fast but my fruit didn't. Guess that goes to show you what people like to eat...all the sweet stuff, not the healthy stuff.

That's not the reason of my post. For 9 years I have been going to these concerts every year. I missed one because of work. Not once have they told the Nativity story according to the Bible. Each class gets up and sings a song. Half of them have no Christian meaning. And this is a Catholic school. There was one modern dance show which they looked like those circque de soliel people, and another one where they were up swinging there hips like Elvis...not appropriate for a Catholic school if you ask me.

The closest thing to telling the story was my youngest dd's kindergarden class. They sang a song about it set to the tune of the wheels on the bus.

There were no Bible readings.

Is it too much to ask that during this time of year, especially at a Catholic school you at least do a reading or two on the whole reason for Christmas. I did every year at my school (except the year we did The Best Christmas Pagent...I went to a public school...but that was before the whole backlash where they took the Lord's Prayer out of it).

And the majority of people did not bless themselves with the holy water upon entering and leaving the church. I did not see anyone kneel in front of the crucifix and I was at the front so I could notice that. People in my view didn't kneel and pray either before and after the service...it was in the church. Shouldn't the same rules apply...


I guess bottom line is it doesn't matter. It is not up to me to judge other people, but I sure was proud of youngest dd who did use the holy water, and needed to sit at the end to see baby Jesus (that's what she calls the crucifix) and kneeled before it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well look on the bright side...at least they didn't sing, "Santa Got Run Over By a Reindeer!"

You keep using that holy water and kneeling sister...maybe the rest of the crowd will clue in.

Dymphna said...

I hate to say it but the average Caholic school isn't what it used to be. Angela, the non Catholic, no practicing parents who send their kids to a nominally Catholic school do so because they know their kid will be safe. He won't get beat up for his lunch money or knifed in the shower. And if nothing else, he will learn how to read and do math. That's the main draw for most people.